Social Emotional Learning in EUFSD
What is SEL?
Social and emotional learning (SEL) is the process through which children and adults acquire and effectively apply the knowledge, attitudes, and skills necessary to understand and manage emotions, set and achieve positive goals, feel and show empathy for others, establish and maintain positive relationships, and make responsible decisions.
A systemic, schoolwide approach to SEL intentionally cultivates a caring, participatory, and equitable learning environment and evidence-based practices that actively involve all students in their social, emotional, and academic growth. This approach requires a coordinated strategy across classrooms, schools, homes, and communities.
Key Skills for Social and Emotional Wellness:
- The Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning has identified five core skills that are widely recognized as critical social-emotional skills:
- Self-awareness is the ability to recognize your emotions and understand the links between emotions, thoughts and behaviors.
- Self-management is the ability to regulate emotions, thoughts and behaviors.
- Social awareness is the ability to take other’s perspectives and demonstrate empathy.
- Relationship skills are the ability to build and maintain healthy relationships.
- Responsible decision making is the ability to make good choices about your behavior and interactions with others.
EUFSD SEL Mission
We strive to become a district where stakeholders are invested in the social, emotional, behavioral and academic success of all students. Within EUFSD, we focus on building relationships and the capacity for adults to create a positive, welcoming and healthy environment where students feel known and valued. We want all students to experience high quality instruction through engaged learning in a safe and supportive environment.
WHY AND HOW
Our goal is to continue to build safe and supportive environments that set the foundation for equitable, engaging and high-quality instruction and to utilize SEL best practices to meet the needs of students and teachers. The focus areas for engaging in high-quality schoolwide SEL implementation:
- Build foundational support and plan for SEL.
- Strengthen adult SEL competencies and capacity: Cultivating supportive, caring adults who model and practice their own SEL.
- Promote SEL for Students: Providing all students with frequent, well-designed, and consistent opportunities to engage in and practice developmentally-appropriate and culturally-relevant SEL
- Practice continuous improvement: Using continuous improvement cycles to facilitate high-quality implementation every step of the way.